When you have a website that talks to the world about your business, service, or product, the question that naturally arises is “how often do you need to update your website?” First, let’s look at some reasons why you absolutely need to update your website!
- Google consistently ranks websites higher if they are updated regularly. Google has “crawlers” that feed on new content. Each time you update your website subsequent search engine crawls will see changes and search algorithms will ensure that your website is ranked higher than equivalent sites that are not updated regularly. If you are the owner of a business, no matter what size, and use your website to promote your products or services, then it is imperative that your website is ranked high in Google search results for people to be able to find you. The more traffic that you are able to drive to your website, the more the likelihood that it will be converted into real-time or online sales.
- Keep your customers and potential clients updated about the latest news that’s happening in your business, whether it is new products released or new services being launched. The majority of people today use the Internet to find services or products they need. The more regularly you update your website with the latest in your business, the more likely you will attract people who are looking for what you have to offer.
- Websites that have not been updated for a long time do not give clients the impression of a business that is up-to-date, reliable, or even working at all! If you last updated your website with news two years ago, customers who chance upon your site today might even get the impression that you are no longer operational! Having a website that is updated regularly serves to engage new as well as repeat customers and assure them that they will receive services and products of the highest standards.
Now that we have seen why it is important to update your website, let’s take a look at how often you need to update it and what you can update it with.
If you are looking to redesign your website completely, it would be wise to do so once every two years at least. For more regular and general updates, a good figure would be on a weekly or at least a monthly basis.
Here are some ideas of what to update your website with on a regular basis:
- Sales and promotional events and offers.
- Seasonal events.
- News about the latest products or services that have been launched.
- News about the latest in your field.
- Update your Frequently Asked Questions page to reflect the latest developments in your business.
- Update the photographs, videos, and artwork on your website to keep it fresh.
Updating your website on a regular basis ensures a steady and loyal traffic to your business, ensuring consistent and regular sales.